Healthy eyes are a critical asset in human life. Like any other body organ, eyes are prone to diseases and infections. Dry eye is such one eye condition that occurs when tear glands fail to secret enough tears. It's an aggravating eye condition that brings a gritty sensation to your eyes. When the condition is left untreated, it can lead to double vision. Worse still, it can bring about total loss of eyesight depending on the cause.
Treatments can include eye drops and lifestyle changes. But the most recommended way to combat the matter is to visit an eye exam specialist as soon as you start experiencing the signs. At Century Eye Care in Gardena, CA, we have been treating dry eye for many years.
Causes of Dry Eye
It's essential to understand some common causes of dry eye to help you manage them. The most common causes include:
- Smoking: Smoking is directly linked to dry eyes. Avoid smoky environments if at all possible.
- Menopause: Women may experience dry eye symptoms due to hormonal imbalances or from excessive use of birth control pills during pregnancy or menopause to correct hormone imbalances.
- Age: Dry eye becomes more likely to occur as you get older due to a reduction in the production of tears.
Symptoms of Dry Eyes
There are many indicators associated with dry eye. Take necessary steps when you notice any of these signs and symptoms. Some of those dry eye signs and symptoms may include:
- Sensitivity to light
- Difficulty with nighttime driving
- Watery eyes
- Blurred vision
- A feeling of stringy mucus in the eyes
- High sensitivity to bright light
- Eye redness
- Eye fatigue
Preventing Dry Eye
The best way to prevent dry eye is to avoid the situations that are most likely to cause your symptoms. For instance:
- During winter, use a humidifier to moisten the air.
- Take eye breaks during long tasks to help spread your tears evenly over your eyes.
- Stop smoking and avoid smoking as this can worsen dry eye symptoms.
- Regularly use artificial tears eye drops as you age to keep them well lubricated.
Dry Eye Treatment in Gardena, CA
At Century Eye Care, we prioritize the vision health of your entire family. We are determined to provide the best optometry services to you or your loved one who may be suffering from dry eye. For any questions, call our Gardena, CA office today at (310) 767-7814 or schedule an appointment online.