Glaucoma is one of the leading eye disorders in America, affecting over 2.7 million people aged 40 and above. Although it affects people of all ages, it is more prevalent in adults over 60 years old. If left untreated, glaucoma can affect your vision and lead to permanent blindness. However, if diagnosed early, you may be able to prevent additional vision loss. At Century Eye Care, our ophthalmologist in Hawthorne and Gardena provides our patients with high-quality eye care services to improve their eye health.
What Is Glaucoma?
Glaucoma is a collection of eye conditions that damage the optic nerve. The optic nerve is the nerve that sends images from the eye to the brain. This damage is usually, but not always, caused by high pressure in the eye.
There are different types of glaucoma. They include:
- Open-angle glaucoma
- Angle-closure glaucoma
- Congenital glaucoma
- Secondary glaucoma
- Normal-tension glaucoma
There are several treatments for glaucoma. They include laser treatments, eye drops, and surgery. Eye surgery is usually recommended in rare cases where eye drops and laser treatments have not been effective. Although surgery will not reverse the vision loss that has already occurred, it can prevent your vision loss from progressing.
Different Types of Glaucoma Surgery
- Trabeculectomy: The surgeon makes a tiny opening in the white part of your eye and takes some mesh tissue. This will allow extra fluid in your eye to drain out and lower the eye pressure.
- Drainage Implant Surgery: The surgeon implants a tiny tube in your eyes. This tube helps the extra fluid to drain.
- Electrocautery: This procedure is similar to trabeculectomy. However, an electric current is used to make a tiny opening in your eye's drainage canals.
- Deep Sclerectomy: During this procedure, the drainage tubes in your eye are widened, sometimes by putting a small device inside them.
- Viscocanalostomy: The surgeon removes part of the outer covering of your eyeball so that the fluid in your eyes can drain more easily.
These procedures can be done in our eye doctor's office while you are under local anesthesia.
Contact Our Ophthalmologist at Century Eye Care
At Century Eye Care, our doctor of ophthalmology offers our patients access to comprehensive eye care services to help them achieve better eye health. Schedule an eye exam with us today and let's get started with your glaucoma treatment. Call our Hawthorne office today at (310) 644-8877 or call our Gardena office at (310) 767-7814.